Spring Gardens, Colne
A former mill site with areas in flood zone 3 was to be redeveloped with a series of mixed-use commercial/industrial units.
Our geo-environmental and geo-technical teams undertook supplementary site investigation to reduce the gas protection measures deemed required for the site and to develop in hand with the contractor foundation solutions that were bespoke to each unit in a bid to maximise value.
Cut and fill exercises were undertaken to achieve a balance on the site whilst also ensuring that flood routing and compensation were provided in the final as-built scenario. Structurally our team delivered the steel frame and foundation designs to all plots together with the site retaining walls.
- Ground gas issues identified in earlier reports were overly conservative
- The site is located in a meander of Colne Water and underlying geology reflects this.
- Ground conditions comprise a variable depth of made ground used to raise site levels above the river, over weak and heterogeneous alluvial strata deposited by Colne Water.
- Natural soils were unsuitable for standard foundations.
- By undertaking ground improvement using vibro stone columns the developer was able to construct standard ground bearing foundations and a ground bearing floor slab.